PECOS Account Login Guide
How to login to your PECOS account?
Medicare is a nationwide Health Insurance program in the United States that began in 1966 under the social security administration. Medicare is now administered by the centers for Medicare and Medicaid services (CMS). Prior to the year 2000 there were some frequent fraud and abuse associated with Medicare claims which had necessitated the development of a system to check details of Medicare provider and suppliers. The Provider Enrollment, Chain, and Ownership System (PECOS), is a national electronic database for recording and retaining data on Medicare enrolled providers and suppliers. When CMS launched PECOS in 2001, they announced that it will now be possible to link providers or suppliers to the people and organizations with which they have a business relationship and to identify those involved in illegal Medicare activities.
Important points about PECOS:
- You need the same information to enroll in Medicare using PECOS as you do for a paper enrollment application.
- Organizational providers and suppliers must designate a provider enrollment authorized official to work on their behalf in CMS systems.
- If you do not have an identity and access management systems account you should create your username and password there.
- Prior to your enrollment in Medicare by using PECOS, you should get your national provider identifier (NPI) number in the national plan and provider enumeration system (NPPES).
- You can use PECOS to enroll in Medicare or update or revalidate your current enrollment information.
What does PECOS mean to you?
- PECOS is a national database of physicians who are enrolled with Medicare.
- When a physician prescribes any item, the supplier must list the physician’s National provider identifier (NPI) number on the claim.
- You can verify that your referring physician is Medicare eligible to prescribe the Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, & Supplies (DMEPOS) item.
- If you want DMEPOS item to qualify for coverage by Medicare you must ensure that your physician or practitioner have registered in PECOS.
- In addition your physician or practitioner should also have a specialty that is eligible to order DMEPOS items for Medicare beneficiaries.
- Specialties eligible to order DMEPOS items – Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy, Doctor of Dental Medicine or Dental Surgery, Doctor of Optometry, Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist
PECOS login – registration process:
- Make your setup ready (laptop or computer and Internet connection) and get connected to a steady internet connection.
- Open your browser and visit the official website of CMS PECOS login.
- Look for the link – Register For A User Account
- Click on the link
- An on-screen prompt I will show that you are about to be redirected to the CMS identity and access management system.
- Click on – Yes
- Accept the terms and conditions and you will be redirected to the NPPES login page.
- Authorized users are able to sign in to the Identity & Access Management System. If you are a new user you must first register.
- Click on – Create Account Now
- Enter your email address and click the Submit button; further on screen instructions may please be followed to complete your registration with PECOS identity and access management system.
PECOS login guide steps:
- Visit the official website of CMS PECOS login
- Please use your I&A (Identity & Access Management System) user ID and password to log in.
- I&A (Identity & Access Management System) user id and password you had just created during your online registration process.
PECOS Login User ID and Password Recovery:
- On the official homepage of CMS PECOS login, separate links have been provided for each – retrieving forgotten user ID or resetting password.
- Click the link suitable to your requirement and a new page will open up in a separate window.
- If you want to reset your password, provide your user ID into the designated space and click the Continue button.
- If you want to retrieve your user ID, you can do so either by providing your registered email address or by providing your personal information (social security number, name, personal phone number, date of birth, zip code).
- Toll-Free: (866) 484-8049
- TTY/TDD: (866) 523-4759
- Mailing Address: External User Services, PO Box 792750, San Antonio, Texas 78279
- E-mail: EUSSupport@cgi.com