We are living in an electronic age where most of our communications takes place through email and for those messages or parcels that cannot be transmitted electronically, now a days we mostly trust reputed courier companies. But even today also the state Postal Service Department has not yet lost its importance simply because it has got the largest delivery network across the country. United States Postal Service (USPS) is such a trusted postal service delivery network that is explicitly authorized by United States constitution.
What is USPS redelivery service?
USPS redelivery is a service provided by the United States Postal Service through which the USPS tries to redeliver your parcel or mail piece which they have already attempted but unable to deliver at your address. If you receive a "PS Form 3849 - We ReDeliver for You!", it means that a letter career or PO Box clerk has already attempted to deliver an item to your address but was unable to do so either because a signature was required to receive the item or because the item will not fit inside the mail receptacle or because the item could not be left in a secure place. Whether you have received an yellow PS Form 3849-SD or a blue PS Form 3849G, will indicate that the item delivery attempt was made on a Sunday or on other day.
USPS redelivery at a glance:
- Redelivery service is available across the entire United States. To check the availability in your area you need to fill up your contact information (name, address, phone number and email ID) on the USPS redelivery service page and click on check availability.
- On filling up the online form, you will be able to reschedule your USPS shipping for redelivery on a new date but you may not be able to reschedule the delivery time.
- Your USPS redelivery item will be delivered through a letter carrier and if for any reason the item could not be delivered on your rescheduled date, it will be delivered on the next business day.
- USPS redelivery does not charge the customer anything. (Practically free of cost)
Who can reschedule and accept a USPS redelivery?
For residential delivery:
- A responsible member of the addresses family.
- A specific individual whom you have authorized to pick up your mail item (by filling out PS Form 3801).
For business delivery:
- An employee may schedule and accept a Redelivery as long as they can provide all of the necessary Redelivery information for the business, along with Acceptable Identification.
- Regardless of who accepts the redelivery, remember that the item can only be redelivered to the original address listed on the mail piece, and the addressee or authorized agent must be present to sign for accountable mail.
How to get started for rescheduling for USPS redelivery?
By scanning the QR code:
Scanning the Redelivery formâ€™s QR Code with an Internet-enabled smartphone is the quickest and most convenient way to select your Redelivery options. Directions for this method is available at PS Form 3849 Redelivery Notice.
- Visit the USPS redelivery redelivery.usps.com/redelivery
- Fill up the online form with your name, address (original delivery address) and article number.
- Indicate when last time the USPS tried to deliver your article.
- Reschedule when you want to get your items Re delivered.
- Submit your request.
- A confirmation page will be displayed with a confirmation number to verify your request has been accepted. The confirmation number will also be emailed to verify your request.
Manually using PS Form 3849:
- Select the day when you want your items to be Re delivered (allow at least two days for Re delivery).
- Indicate where the item is to be left by checking the appropriate box.
- Sign and fill out the form under "Delivery Section."
- Place the completed form in your mailbox.
Reschedule by phone:
When contacting USPS by phone, you must have the tracking number from either version of PS Form 3849, We ReDeliver for You! that was left in your mail receptacle. If you do not have your tracking number, you may take a valid ID to your local Post Office and pick up your mail item.
TTY Access: 1-866-377-8642
USPS business hours:
Monday - Friday 8 AM - 8:30 PM ET
Saturday 8 AM - 6 PM ET