There's a difference between a typical lawsuit and a class action lawsuit. In a typical lawsuit one party sues the other party for any alleged wrongdoings while in case of a class action lawsuit a group of people can become plaintiff and be represented by one person amongst them to sue the defendant for any such alleged wrongdoings that may have caused damages to the plaintiff (group of people or class). Class action lawsuit is a typically predominant phenomenal in United States of America while the other European countries has made changes to their civil law.
In today's time, when the life is mostly guided by cyber-world to make the information more accessible to us and to give us more comfort, any breach in data may always result in a class action lawsuit. A very recent example of such case is the class action lawsuit settlement in the case of Adlouni v. UCLA Health System Auxiliary, et al. The suit was filed in the wake of and Cyber-attack on the UCLA health systems' computer network that was disclosed on 17th July 2015. If you have received any such notice on your email or letter box then you are also a member of this class action lawsuit settlement. Please take action before the deadline to be in a position to receive the settlement benefits, if at all the Court approves the settlement to be fair and justified.
Benefits of UCLA health Systems class action settlement:
- You may receive two years of free credit monitoring, identity theft protection, and insurance coverage. (You must enroll no later than 16th September, 2019)
- Additionally, you may be entitled to receive cash reimbursement for costs that you have incurred to protect yourself against unauthorized use of your personal information. (You must submit a Preventive Measure Claim Form no later than 18th June, 2019)
- You may also be entitled to receive cash reimbursement for costs or losses that resulted from your identity theft or the unauthorized use of your personal information. (You must submit an Unreimbursed Loss Claim Form no later than 18th June, 2021)
Important points about UCLA health systems class action settlement:
- The UCLA health systems class action settlement is about the incident when, on 17th July 2015, there was a Cyber-attack or cyber Invasion on the network of UCLA Health Systems' computers which may have resulted in stealing of consumers personal information including the financial information also.
- Any person whose personal information was stored on the UCLA Health Systems' computer network that was affected under the Cyber-attack, is included as a party to this class action settlement including those persons who has received notice in the form of an email or postcard.
- As a beneficiary of UCLA health systems class action settlement you can receive Two Years of Free Identity Protection Services, Reimbursement of any Preventive Measures and Reimbursement of any Unreimbursed Losses Associated with Identity Theft.
- To receive the benefits of this class action settlement you are required to submit completed claim form either electronically or to their postal address.
- The benefits of the UCLA health systems class action settlement will be paid after the final approvals granted by the court post which this class action lawsuit will not be subjected to any further appeal.
- The Court has appointed Jeff Westerman of the law firm of Westerman Law Corporation to act as Settlement Class Counsel and represent the interests of all Settlement Class Members. Settlement Class Counsel will seek attorneysâ€™ fees and reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses on behalf of themselves. If you want to hire a separate attorney, you can do it at your own cost otherwise you will be represented by the court appointed settlement Counsel.
- If you want to object to this class action settlement, you must her write to the court and the court will consider your viewpoints. But to object to this class action settlement you must become a member of the class.
- You will always have the option either to remain in the class and be a part of this class action settlement and receive the settlement benefits or to opt out of the settlement and sue the UCLA health Systems separately at your own cost in which case you will not receive any settlement benefits of this class action.
- You are not required to be present in the class action hearing because the class counsel will answer all the questions that the judge may have. But if you remain present in the final approval hearing, you may be granted permission to speak up your viewpoints subject to the approval of the judge.
Dates to be remembered in regard to the UCLA health systems class action settlement:
- 20th May 2019 - Deadline to Object to the Settlement and Exclude Yourself from the Settlement.
- 18th June 2019 - Deadline to Submit a Preventive Measure Claim Form.
- 18th June 2019 - Date of final approval hearing (9 a.m.)
- 16th September 2019 - Deadline to Submit a Free, Two-Year ID Experts Enrollment Form.
- 18th June 2021 - Deadline to Submit an Unreimbursed Loss Claim Form.
How to submit a claim in regard to the UCLA health systems class action settlement?
- Download the claim forms and relevant documents from the link www.uclahealthcybersettlement.com/en/Home/Documents
- You can submit your claim form either online or by writing to the claim administrator.
- For online submission of your claim, visit the link www.uclahealthcybersettlement.com/en/Home/SubmitClaim
- If you want to submit the hard copy of your claim then you should write to the claim administrator at
UCLA Health System
P.O. Box 3058
Portland, OR 97208-3058
Important contact coordinates in the case of UCLA health systems class action settlement:
- Clerk of Court
Superior Court of the State of California
County of Los Angeles
111 North Hill Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Jeff S. Westerman
Westerman Law Corp.
1875 Century Park East
Los Angeles, CA 90067
- Jennifer S. Romano
Nathanial J. Wood
Crowell & Moring LLP
515 South Flower Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Who are excluded from the UCLA health systems class action settlement?
- The members of the Board of Regents, the Officers of The Regents, and members of The Regentsâ€™ Office of General Counsel with responsibility for the Consolidated Actions.
- Outside counsel retained by The Regents in connection with the Consolidated Actions.
- Any judicial officer to whom the Action is assigned; and
- Any individual who timely and validly opts-out from the Settlement Class.
Should you require any further clarification in regard to the UCLA health systems class action settlement, you may contact the claims administrator either by dialing the number 1-888-262-4479 (Toll-Free)
by writing to them at
UCLA Health System
P.O. Box 3058
Portland, OR 97208-3058